The purpose of this accessibility guide is to help you make an informed decision as to whether The Victoria Hotel will be suitable for you and your family, friends, and colleagues. We are committed to improving accessibility for all guests and visitors whatever your requirements so that you can enjoy your stay with us. We hope that you find this information useful and beneficial.
However, we are aware that everyone’s needs are different, so if you have any questions or if there is anything not covered in the information that follows, please do not hesitate to get in touch and we will be happy to assist you. And of course, our friendly and experienced team will be on hand to assist you at any point during your stay with us.
At a glance
- For assistance prior to arrival please contact the reservations team on 01395 512651.
- Reservations are open between 7:30am-10:30pm every day.
- Our sample menus are available in a larger font on request.
- You can contact the hotel by phone, email or in person. Please email enquiries to email@example.com.
- We can supply local taxi telephone numbers and there is a company in Sidmouth that has taxis suitable for less able people if required. We are happy to make a booking for you.
- There is a mobility shop in Sidmouth (approx. 0.6 miles from the hotel).
- The Victoria Hotel is a building of five floors. There is lift access to all floors.
- All bedrooms are located on the upper floors.
- The ground floor provides dining, lounge, and bar.
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor.
- All public rooms have plenty of natural light.
- All bedrooms and corridors are well lit with contrasting flooring and walls.
- There is good mobile reception throughout the hotel and every bedroom has a telephone.
- The fire alarms are tested weekly. You will be made aware when they are if it is planned during your stay.
- There is one designated disabled parking space in the car park. This space is available to those with a blue disability badge. If the space isn’t available when you arrive, we can arrange to park your car for you.
- Entrance to the main Reception of the Hotel is up a step from a level parking area and there is a ramp available if required.
- The width of the entrance door to the hotel is 795mm although this is openable up to 1590mm.
- Front of House staff are always available to assist you and, if you wish, your luggage can be collected from your car and delivered directly to your room. Front of House staff can also help you upon departure.
- The main car park is approximately 10 metres from the hotel entrance.
Getting around the Hotel
- The floor is marble and wood tiled.
- The height of the reception desk is 1100mm. There is seating available with a selection of armchair and tall back seats present.
- The lighting is LED downlighting which is dimmable if required.
- Hearing loops are currently unavailable.
- All corridors are well lit and carpeted.
- The main bar / lounge are accessible from the main entrance.
- The Jubilee Restaurant and White Room Restaurant are on one level and accessible from the main entrance.
- There are two lounges on the ground floor. The Main lounge has level access off the main Reception. The Sun Lounge has access off the Main Lounge down a single step, there is a ramp available if required.
- There is outside seating to the front of the Hotel. This is on a paved surface accessed from the front car park.
- To permit free movement, automatic door release mechanisms are used in some parts of the building. Doors fitted with this type of closure will shut if the fire alarm system operates.
- The minimum width of all internal doorways is 750mm although most doors on the ground floor can be opened up to 1500mm.
- Wall sockets are located throughout the ground floor.
The Jubilee Restaurant & The White Room
- The Jubilee Restaurant floor is carpeted, with tiled flooring at the entrance. The White Room Restaurant floor is carpeted.
- There is ample movable seating and there are chairs with arms.
- There is background music in the Jubilee Restaurant and the White Room. This can be adjusted if requested.
- There is live music in the Jubilee Restaurant in the evenings. Please inform the Restaurant Manager if you need a table away from the music.
- Service is a mixture of table service and self-service buffet for breakfast. Full waiter service is provided.
- Jubilee Restaurant tables are laid with white table linen.
- There is a mixture of natural and artificial light in all areas.
- Menus are typed clearly and can be supplied in larger text.
- Staff are happy to read and explain menus.
- All types of allergies and dietary requirements are catered for.
Stairs & Lifts
- There are 22 steps to each floor. Each step is 170mm high and 350mm deep. There is a hand rail on both sides.
- The lift has an automatic door and the floor is carpeted. The lift can comfortably accommodate a wheelchair and one escort. The floor space is 1070mm x 1060mm. The doors are 785mm wide.
- The 60 bedrooms in the main hotel are over three floors and can be accessed by a lift or stairs.
- There are three rooms situated around the outdoor pool area which is accessed by a ramp or steps off the car park.
- The Victoria Suite can be accessed via steps either through the main hotel or via the car park area; there is also access to this room via a ramp.
- The Garden Room is only accessible via steps from the rear car park area.
- A Deafgard fire alarm listening device is available at Reception.
- The bedrooms have short pile carpets.
- All rooms have bedside lights - extra lighting is available on request.
- The majority of bedding is non-feather. Please advise us prior to your stay of any allergies.
- All rooms are non-smoking.
- There is a telephone available in all bedrooms.
- All bedrooms have en-suite facilities, there are various rooms with a walk-in shower.
- Plugs are available on both sides of the bed in all Double / King Size rooms.
- Our single beds are a minimum 3 feet, double beds are 5 feet and super king beds are 6 feet.
- The amount of space around the bed varies depending on the room type reserved. Our Reservations team can discuss this with you when booking.
- The majority of beds can be split into twin beds. However, this is not possible in some rooms.
- Non-allergic bedding is available.
- All rooms have either curtains or blinds.
- All rooms have wardrobes of various sizes.
- TVs have subtitles available.
Swimming Pools, Sauna & Spa Bath
- The indoor heated pool area is on the lower ground floor and is accessed via the lift or a set of 16 steps. There is a single step to gain access from the lift; however a movable ramp can be used.
- Entry into the indoor pool itself is by steps into the pool or via metal ladders on the side of the pool.
- The sauna and spa bath are located in the Indoor pool area.
- The outdoor pool and Lido area are accessed by steps to the front or ramp at the rear access point.
- Entry to the outdoor pool is by built in shallow tiled steps.
Public Toilet Facilities
- Ladies' and Gents' toilets are available on the ground floor, close to bar and restaurant.
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor. This is 2.02 metres x 1.46 metres.
- The room is well lit and the floor is tilled.
- The access door opens outwards. The opening is 935mm.
- An emergency assistance alarm system is installed.
- Supporting grab rails are provided.
- The toilet flush is a paddle type design for ease of use.
- The toilet is at a specific height to make it easier for wheelchair users to transfer and for those with mobility issues to use it without needing to bend as far.
- The wash basin is accessible to wheelchair users.
- There is a lever-handle tap or a tap for ease of use.
- Baby changing facilities are available in the disabled toilet.
- Walk-in showers are available in a selection of hotel bedrooms.
Please reserve the following equipment when you make your booking. If you require anything that is not listed below, please contact us and we will do our utmost to assist you.
- High Chair
- Your mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs can be charged overnight
- The fire alarm is a continuous sounder and does not have flashing lights.
- Deafgards linked to the fire alarm system are available on request for those guests with impaired hearing.
- Fire action notices are available in each room. Please ensure that you make yourself familiar with these for your own safety.
- A Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan can be agreed upon arrival with guests where necessary.
This website (victoriahotel.co.uk) is run by Percy R Brend & Sons (Hoteliers) Ltd. We aim to provide a website that is accessible to a wide audience, regardless of technology or ability.
Reporting Accessibility Problems with this Website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of this website and welcome any suggestions users might have to help us do so. If you feel that we are not meeting your accessibility requirements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have tried to be as accurate and detailed as possible in our Accessibility Guide but we are always willing to give further information on any aspect of the hotel. If you feel you have a particular query we have not covered then please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always looking to improve our service to our guests, so please let us know if you have any comments about this guide. We would welcome any suggestions you may have that would make your stay with us more comfortable and enjoyable.